Tuesday, January 28, 2014

College Auditions! ~ Carnegie Mellon University


Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) is a global research university with a strong emphasis on creation and creativity.  This comfortable school located in Pitssburg, PA is home to the oldest-degree granting drama program in the US!   



No wonder the notable alumn from this one = cray cray.  Just a few include: Matthew Bomer, Gaius Charles, Ted Danson, Megan Hilty, Mary Kate Schellhardt, Ian Harding, Joe Manganiello... If that's not enough to sell you on the school, I don't know what is.  

And this numerous amount of success in the professional industry is no coincidence.  Alumni from CMU help each other get work.  Connections connections connections.  So much so that they actually call CMU alumn the CMU Mafia, further dividing into the East Coast Clan and the West Coast Clan.  Kewl beans right?  Sounds like a great place for people who are serious about wanting to work professionally in the tv/film/stage industry. 



As if all of this isn't good enough, their drama building is BEAUTIFUL.  For all my fellow theater people who are less fond of the darkness that encompasses everyday theater life, CMU's drama building is full of windows and light, happy rooms!  I mean, seriously, this place is well decorated/renovate/lit.  It was by far the best theater building I have seen.  It was honestly fun just to sit there and wait.  

Wait to audition!  A process in which I learned that everyone there is SO NICE.  I mean, obviously people always put on their best friendly faces to run auditions, but like I'm talking students passing by as we waited to go into the audition room stopped to say hi and have a conversation.  And not just with us, with each other!  It seems like a really close-knit and supportive community, perfect for people who are looking to grow skills and connections in a nurturing environment. 


So, let's talk about the actual audition.  This was another four hour ordeal, only this time I had no idea when I was going.  I ended up waiting three hour before they called me and a group of four other people out to wait in the halls.  But, the waiting wasn't bad.  I met this really nice girl who was pretty much just like me.  It was really fun to talk to someone who was dealing with the same things I was, but I shouldn't be surprised, because that's the best part about these auditions: you always feel like you belong there.  

Anyhow, then I talked to the passerbys and my fellow waiting people until it was my turn to go.  

Just a heads up, these auditions take place in pretty small rooms.  That's not necessarily a bad thing.  Just letting you know so you can plan to use your space better (i.e. move around during your monologue).

  

The lady I auditioned for was really nice and easy to work with.  I did both my monologues (modern and classical) and was ready for my interview when...DUHN DUHN DUHHHHHH... She asked me to sing!  I was auditioning for Acting!  Not MT!  Luckily, I read that this was a possibility and I was prepared.  So you must be too!  Let this be your warning! Be prepared for anything at CMU.  



But, I was fine and my audition ended once again with a successful interview. 


I loved my visit to CMU.  I loved the audition.  Most of all, I love their alumni success.  It's probably my top pick.  

But, then the questions start to nag and the doubt sets in.  CMU is competitive.  They only let a few people in and SOOOO many people are auditioning.  What if I'm not good enough?  What if I messed up?  What if they didn't like me?  What if-





STOP.  


You can't let these questions and doubty stuffs get to you.  Okay?  You are talented and you are going to do what you are meant to do and go where you are meant to go.  All you can do is your best.  They are going to love you.  You are going to succeed.  You are going to be awesome.  Believe it with all your heart, because in order for everyone else to believe in you, you need to believe in yourself. :)



Joe Manganiello Picture

Do it for Joe!!!!


Enough cheese?  No, seriously, though.  Pump up that confidence, do what you do, and don't forget to OWN.  

Keep Calm and Act on.

- <3 Anna



1 comment:

  1. Very nice post, this post will help to the beginners who is looking for the opportunity in acting field. Your post about the auditions will help them to find good platform for their acting career.
    Professional Acting Classes in los angeles

    ReplyDelete